Instant Pot Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
This pork is delicious! I found through trial and error that you need to use a fairly fatty piece of pork in order to end up with a succulent tasting homemade char siu.
Pork Belly is too fatty, and pork tenderloin is too lean, but pork shoulder (the lower portion of the shoulder) or pork butt (the upper portion of the shoulder) are the best cuts because they have the right amount of marbled fat throughout the pork.
4 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt (2 packages of pork shoulder from T & T)
4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
3 teaspoons salt
1/2 Teaspoon Chinese 5 spice powder (consists of fennel seed, anise seed, peppercorns, cinnamon and cloves)
1/2 Teaspoon white pepper
1 Teaspoon sesame oil
3 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Shao Hsing cooking wine
2 Tablespoons honey
Instant Pot with trivet
Baking tray lined with foil
Medium size bowl and whisk
Large container with lid
1. Whisk the marinade ingredients (except the honey) together in a medium size bowl .
2. Take 2 tablespoons of the marinade and mix with the 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of water, cover and set aside.
3. Slice the pork pieces length-wise so you have 4 big strips of pork The meat will be marbled with fat, and there will be fat on the outside. Trim some of the excess fat, but otherwise it’s good to have some fat left on the meat because it will make the char siu more flavorful. Pierce each strip of pork with a fork in several places to help tenderize the meat, and allow the marinade to seep into the meat.
4. In a large container, pour the marinade over the pork and let it marinate overnight for at least 18 hours. Move the pork around in the marinade a few times, to make sure all the pork is covered.
4. The next day (18 hours later): Pour 1/2 cup of water into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet in the Instant Pot. Place the marinated pork on top of the trivet. Cook the pork on high pressure for 25 minutes. Naturally release for 10 minutes and then turn the knob to release all the steam, and open the Instant Pot.
5. Remove the pork and place on a foil-lined baking tray.
6. Brush the pork with the reserved marinade that was mixed with honey and water.
7. Broil the pork in the oven for about 3-5 minutes. Watch it carefully, as it can burn easily.
8. Turn each piece over, baste the other side and broil for another 3-5 minutes
9. Let the pork rest on a cutting board or plate for 5 minutes.
10. Then slice the meat and serve with steamed rice and stir-fried vegetables and dinner is served. Enjoy!
Thanks for watching my video. Please like, comment and subscribe!
Original of the video here